March 15, 2018
Dear Patients and Friends of Vios Fertility Institute,
In recent news, fertility clinics in both Cleveland and San Francisco experienced a situation where storage tanks holding frozen tissue malfunctioned potentially damaging thousands of eggs and embryos. As of today, it appears that over 500 patients may have been affected between the two programs. These extremely rare occurrences are a stark reminder of the importance we place on cryogenic systems that hold frozen eggs, embryos, sperm and other tissue at IVF clinics. Read some cryopreservation FAQs here.
We share in the sadness for all those involved including patients and their team of care providers. These clinics are very well respected in the field of fertility and this reminds us that things can occur from natural disasters, technical malfunction and the element of human error. Moreover, we want to take a moment to reassure you about the safety of your eggs, embryos and/or sperm that is stored with Vios Fertility Institute. It is also important for an organization to remember what they stand for and value. At Vios, our core values are Vision, Innovation, TeamwOrk and PaSsion.
- SOPS: Each location follows a well-detailed standard operating procedure called Vios WAYS (What Aligns You) for maintaining and testing all of our cryogenic equipment.
- DAILY CHECKS: As part of our checks, we physically inspect the level of liquid nitrogen daily in each of our storage tanks that are being used for safe holding of patient samples. Liquid nitrogen is what keeps the tissue frozen.
- WEEKLY TOP OFFS: Tanks are topped off weekly or as needed to ensure no samples are ever exposed to less than an ideal environment.
- EXTRA LIQUID NITROGEN: Each location has at least 2 bulk liquid nitrogen tanks on site and these tanks are replaced with full tanks on a weekly basis, even if they are not empty to ensure we always have plenty of liquid nitrogen available.
- MULTIPLE ALARMS: Using the latest innovations of patient safety and laboratory equipment is important to us. We have different and redundant alarm systems attached to our tanks so that in the event of an emergency, the proper staff will be promptly alerted. All of our alarm systems are connected to emergency backup power along with an internal battery backup.
- EXTRA EMERGENCY BACK-UP TANK: Each Vios location has an empty tank designated as an “Emergency” tank that is kept ready as a backup in the case of such an emergency. This way there is a place to quickly put tissue, if needed.
- STAFF: Our laboratories are staffed with highly trained scientists that are all well practiced in maintaining a safe and effective cryogenic environment. We take time to continually challenge ourselves with frequent educational opportunities as well as reexamining flow and process as we strive for the best practice of IVF laboratory techniques.
- TRANSPARENCY: Being clear and transparent is very important in the patient and care provider team relationship. Transparency is part of working together as a team which builds trust and loyalty.
- At Vios, exceptional patient experience is our top priority and you have our word that we will always passionately strive to provide that to you.
We look forward to seeing you soon. For our patients, we are excited for your next steps in your journey. If you are a referring physician or friend, thank you for your continued support of Vios Fertility in achieving our mission:
Our Mission at Vios Fertility Institute is to help our patients find their way to fertility health and treatment with the highest chance of success by providing them with innovative, scientific, cutting-edge treatment options along with an unparalleled patient experience.
If you have additional questions, please reach out to your home office directly.
Sincerely believing that Conception is Our Life,
Vios Fertility Institute Physicians, Scientists and Staff